WINTER HOME MAINTENANCE
PROTECTING YOUR INVESTMENT THIS WINTER
As winter settles in and temperatures drop, it’s crucial to ensure that your home is well-prepared to
withstand the challenges of the cold season. This protects your home, your family, and the value of your
investment if you are looking to sell in the new year!
- Weatherproofing Windows and Doors: Cold drafts can significantly impact your home’s energy
efficiency. Seal any gaps around windows and doors with weatherstripping or caulk to keep the warmth
in and the cold out. This simple step can lead to substantial energy savings and a cozier living space.
- Inspecting and Cleaning Gutters: Fall leaves and debris can accumulate in your gutters, leading to
clogs that may result in water damage to your home. Ensure your gutters are clear of any obstructions
and direct downspouts away from the foundation to prevent ice dams and water infiltration.
- HVAC System Maintenance: Regularly servicing your heating system is vital for efficient performance
during the winter months. Replace air filters, check for leaks, and schedule professional maintenance to
ensure your HVAC system operates at its best when you need it most.
- Protecting Pipes from Freezing: Frozen pipes can lead to costly repairs. Insulate exposed pipes and
disconnect garden hoses. In extremely cold weather, let faucets drip to prevent water from freezing in
- Chimney and Fireplace Inspection: If you have a fireplace, schedule a professional inspection and
cleaning to ensure it’s safe to use. Check for any cracks or damage to the chimney, and confirm that the
damper is working correctly.
- Landscape Preparation: Trimming tree branches and removing dead foliage can prevent potential
damage to your property during winter storms. Additionally, store outdoor furniture and equipment to
protect them from harsh weather conditions.